Translate/Traducir/Traduire

Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Welcome to the house of fun

Planning lessons was a great excuse to sit around and chill with Scott. He was glad to be able to speak some English, I was glad of the company. It worked out pretty well. We've got some themes set up for our classes and decided how we're going to divide up the students.
His part of town is far more central than anywhere I've been and it just gets better. The streets are cleaner, there are more parks and it feels more cosmopolitan. Of course it helped that it was sunny. ;)
At Scott's he told me about the dairy farm he grew up on and we spent a while comparing the British and American city layout, amongst other seemingly normal aspects of daily life! His soup was delicious and definitely filled a gap - Scott and Sergio can definitely expect some reciprocation as soon as I have a place of my own!

From there I went straight on to my next flat viewing. Yet again making the mistake of travelling through the centre during rush hour. >.<
It was a hair raising drive, the number of times I've held my breath watching a cyclist or motorcyclist squeeze between two collectivos (buses)! We also went past Buenos Aires' answer to the white house - la casa rosada. For those who don't speak Spanish - the pink house. How cheerful. :)

My next visit sat directly opposite a large park containing the museum of natural history, will have to head back that way at some point! At first glance I though the house was a hostel, an easy mistake to make when you see the size of it! There are 15 people living there, and it showed. Sheffield people, imagine Harcourt but 3 times the size! Fortunately, it's quite normal to have someone come to clean the house regularly, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I was initially slightly put off by the Harcourt-esque feel to the place (solely for the mess I assure you!) but I was soon dragged up to sit and chat with some of the residents who quickly offered me some of their toast stack and a sip of mate. Turned out that the 2 Argentinians sat opposite me didn't actually live in the house, they just went there a lot!! It's clear that were I to move in there, I would make a lot of friends very quickly. An enticing prospect! There's the possibility that the room I would have has already been taken - confirmation tomorrow but if not it's one to go on the cards with a list of pros and cons. If not I'll maybe just try and become una amiga de la casa. Like the Argentinians. ;)

Quiet night in tonight. It's been a while and there's another busy day tomorrow.
I'll leave you with this picture of the under-road walkway to the station near Martin's house:


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to leave something here for me, I'll soon pass by and collect it.
Comments or questions welcome :)