Translate/Traducir/Traduire

Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Let's get moving!

Good news guys: I HAVE A FLAT! :D
Moving house today, so pretty chuffed about that. Sharing with an Argentine guy. Really well located and nice, spacious rooms. Top end of my price range but that still only equates to about £260 per month, all bills included. And I'm in a capital city. So alright really. :)

That was the big news for yesterday, but aside from that I decided to head out and take a wander round los bosques de Palermo - essentially an enourmous park. In the sun it's not too bad, shady patches and night times are still unbearably cold. Here's some pretty pictures:






It really is quite a nice park. You may have noticed the rather vibrant green budgies, those are the only tropical looking birds I've noticed so far... The rest are all just pidgeons. 0_o Weird. 

Yesterday evening I headed out to another Tango class - I am determined to learn this dance!! However on arrival it quickly became clear that we'd mis-read the timetable, not that I was that fussed - Salsa is equally as good if not better! Had a lot of fun trying to teach Andrea the basic steps, spinning around with Emmanuelle, improvising with Gabriel and trying to keep up with Yuri! As well as the usual older guy who is all too happy to teach a few moves and lead with a strong grip. 
For the moment, I definitely prefer Salsa. It's far easier to improvise and since you dance with your whole body and the steps are quicker, it matters less how good you are; it's still all great fun! And if in doubt, throw in a spin or five. ;)

I think we maybe have also invented a new genre of dance, combining Salsa and Tango techniques. It's a bit new age. You probably wouldn't get it. ;p

When the bar closed at 11.30, we headed to la catedral de tango, the same place I took my first tango lesson, to carry on the theme. There was a great mix of Salsa, Tango, and a few Rock tunes just to mix things up a bit. On and off the dance-floor, swapping between chatting and dancing, it was a great way to get to know each other a bit better as well as being extremely entertaining, not only participating but also watching the rest of the crowd. 
Latinos just know how to move!

It almost feels strange that we don't have anything so particularly English when it comes to dancing - Morris dancing maybe. But I don't know anywhere that has morris nights... not withstanding that nobody would go! Maybe that's why Brits are so frigid. Or maybe it's because we're frigid that we don't have a dance? Some of the latino ones can certainly get a bit steamy!

Standard greeting in the UK: handshake/ awkward hug/ awkward-moment-of-how-do-we-greet-each-other? 
Standard greeting in Argentina: kiss on the cheek. Regardless of age, gender, or how well you know each other.   

I think that says a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to leave something here for me, I'll soon pass by and collect it.
Comments or questions welcome :)