Translate/Traducir/Traduire

Thursday, 16 August 2012

Gone a-wandering


Showered and changed I couldn't sit in the flat for the afternoon having just arrived in a new city; I set out on a mission to find a phone. Unfortunately the precursor to this was change money, a seemingly simple task that was actually rather complex! There seems to be some sort of freeze on currency exchange and you can't really do it unless you have a bank account, one of the bank staff advised me to do it through someone I trust. Slightly irked at having carried around dollars for no reason, I settled for withdrawing more money in pesos. 

Back to the original mission, I found a few phone shops and after some discussion it became apparent that I wouldn't be able to use my Latin American phone as I'd hoped - time for a new handset! Found a small shop with two very helpful guys who accepted payment in dollars! All was not lost on that front. Mission accomplished.

By this point I'd been walking for a few hours, and not eaten properly since the plane so naturally the next priority was food. Wandering back in the direction of the flat, I waited to come across a place that was obviously right. Luckily this didn't take too long. I'd been pre-warned that pizza is a popular food in Argentina and opted for what looked like a thin pizza slice with olives, cheese and tomato. Fortunately I'd also been warned about the Argentine tendancy to include surprise meat, so was faintly amused to take my first bite and discover a hot dog running through the middle of the bread! Turns out "pizzapanch" means pizza-hotdog. ;)

Back at the flat, it was definitely time for a nap. Then some leisurely emailing to kick-start some socialising before an early night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to leave something here for me, I'll soon pass by and collect it.
Comments or questions welcome :)