Translate/Traducir/Traduire

Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Perfect people, pretty places and a pleasantly peaceful picnic

This week I feel like I've been doing a good job of paying back my karma for the summer after being so kindly hosted by friends.
Friday night, Rae stayed over as she needed a place to crash, then Juan's been here for a couple of days too as he's having flatmate issues and his girlfriend had her parents over. I didn't know it was possible to fit two people in my tiny bed without touching but apparently it is!
It's been really nice having different people around all the time too. Yay for company! Especially people who are motivated to get out and about and do stuff. :)
They've also both asked me for haircuts... So I'm both hostel manager and hairdresser now. Juan was easy, number 2 with his clippers. I'm not sure if I'll do Rae... Girls' hair is more difficult!


After a late one on Friday, I dragged myself out of bed at the supremely reasonable hour of 8.30 to finally go on the Coushsurfing walking tour of BA. A girl who knows some history going around the city with a nice bunch of people! It was a lovely day and we finally went to China town, I've been meaning to go for ages, my first chinese meal since I arrived. 

The flower used to open and close with the sun but it broke :(
Apparently this one is older than New York's!

Barrio chino




Ended up going for a beer with the girl who was doing the tour and an Italian who was currently living in Armenia and speaks with a Barcelona accent until my sleepiness got the better of me and I went home for a nap. I'd been outside all day, and had the sunburn to show it... fortunately, Juan (who turned up as I woke up) was there to save the day and we went to buy some "magnesium milk" which is definitely the best remedy I've come across for sunburn so far!


 We had a lazy Sunday morning, and in the afternoon headed out to the feria in Mataderos, I'd been meaning to go for ages but plans kept falling through! Luckily, Juan is the perfect get up and go sort of person to launch spontaneous plans with. Wandering around it was just as I'd hoped, far more genuine and with far more community spirit than any other feria or barrio that I've been to. The more time I spend in Mataderos the more I fall in love with it. If I was staying longer I think I'd like to move closer to conviven or do a homestay to really get to know the area. In comparison Palermo and the centre feel really fake.





Unfortunately it started raining before we finished looking round so I'll have to go back. It's definitely my best bet for souvenirs and gifts. More authentic and better value!

I didn't go out this weekend, not really. However Sunday night I had a reasonable simulation of sleeping in a club when I swapped rooms with Andres for the night. He normally has the front room, fully equipped with patio doors which though this sounds idyllic, they do very little to block out the sounds of the barrio's very lively night scene. Since Andres has exams and is already stressed and having trouble sleeping I thought I'd do him a favour. Thankfully, I wasn't bothered by the noise and got to take advantage of having a double bed all to myself!


Monday was chilled again and headed out in the afternoon to a picnic with the Buddhists with Rae. We were supposed to meet at the station but after waiting 15mins and not seeing her I decide the best plan of action would be to meet her in the park. Turns out we think in exactly the same way! She'd been at a different station due to a miscommunication, fortunately both stations are roughy equidistant from the park which meant we arrived at the same time. :)


There was loads of lovely food at the picnic, only supplemented by the excess of interesting conversion and lovely company. They were all fascinated by my porteño Spanish too which was quite amusing. I love Buddhists, they're such a lovely bunch! And no one fake or bitchy in sight. They're exactly the kind of people I want to be around and finding this centre has just reaffirmed that any time I find myself somewhere new or a bit lost I should find the nearest group and join in. I still wouldn't define myself as a Buddhist but the best thing is, that doesn't make even the slightest bit of difference!

Over and out for now... Off to meditate. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. You will like this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/01/bhutan-wealth-happiness-counts

    ReplyDelete

If you want to leave something here for me, I'll soon pass by and collect it.
Comments or questions welcome :)