Today I returned from my third weekend in a row of sleeping on the ground and living outside. In terms of meeting the right people, I don't think I could have done much better. I've almost given up trying to take photos since I've long since realised that no matter how inspiring and exciting I find the landscape to be, it never comes out in photos. I can spend all day looking at the same view, continuously changing and renewing itself, but I'll have to content myself with just one photo. Otherwise they get a bit samey.

This weekend I went back to Villa Peluca, nearly two months after first becoming acquainted with the area and the climbing community that inhabits it every few weekends. There were fewer of us this time, and I'd already met the majority of them a few times, making it quite a different experience. Plus I was travelling with a different party and different climbers make for different routes and new challenges. Perhaps one of the more obvious differences, was that the weather has warmed up drastically in the last two months and we're fast approaching summer, meaning that we had to be more strategic with timing climbs for specific areas; some routes just get too hot to climb! I've bought myself some factor 50 sun cream and I'm not taking any chances - the Chilean sun takes no prisoners. The more pleasant side of this is that tents become surplus to requirement and a nightly campfire is a pleasure rather than a necessity. That's not to say it's Mediterranean, but with a few layers and a reasonable sleeping bag its a very comfortable temperature.
 |
| Base camp |
 |
| What a better view to wake up to... |
Sleeping out under the stars, sharing good company, and climbing all day in good weather. What more can you ask for? Communal meals and healthy banter. The kind of thing that makes you never want to leave. I've returned from the last three weekends physically exhausted, but mentally invigorated, feeling healthy and content.
I was happier with my resilience this time, determined to improve my climbs and returning to the same routes to try and complete them without falling or relying on the rope to rest, to get to the top in one good run. I've left myself some projects to go back to too. Nice to have something to work on!
We went back to the river too, this time with the whole gang - 16 of us in total - and the water was much more enjoyable this time! Can't wait for the next trip... Though I might have to invest in some more equipment, I'm not sure how long I can reasonably keep using my borrowed harness and roll mat, it's already been two months!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you want to leave something here for me, I'll soon pass by and collect it.
Comments or questions welcome :)