Walking through the villa was an interesting experience. Leaving the neatly organised square layout of the city for haphazardly constructed homes, narrow passageways and dusty paths. It was very lively, as strangers entering a reputedly dangerous zone, naturally I felt slightly uncomfortable but with Carmen there I wasn't worried. My initial discomfort soon subsided on arriving at the plaza as there were a few familiar faces from Conviven and we were quickly roped in to helping.
| Face-painting area |
The sheer number of kids at are stall was overwhelming, though for the most part we managed to persuade them to form a queue and wait their turn. A pattern soon became apparent; Girls: Butterflies, hearts or stars. Boys: Scorpions, spiders or football team colours.
If you're wondering what's going on in the background, I'm told it's very popular in Paraguay, where most of the inhabitants of this particular villa originate. It's pretty simple; find an old telegraph pole (that's what it looks like anyway), tie some sweets to the top, cover the thing in soap and stand it in the ground. Now try climb it.
Madness. For some, it was a touching collaborative effort that got them to the top, essentially making a human ladder to combat the lack of grip, others (probably after the soap had dried) seemed to make it solo with no trouble.
I spend a little while enjoying the atmosphere before joining the board games table where kids were playing various games. Although in some instances the kids got over excitable or could quite follow rules, they were incredibly well behaved, and one kid after beating me twice at one particular game thoroughly enjoyed explaining the game to the other kids, taking charge admirably. Good thing he kept winning. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you want to leave something here for me, I'll soon pass by and collect it.
Comments or questions welcome :)